This post may contain affiliate links, which means a commission is earned (at no cost to you) if you decide to make a purchase via a link in this post. For more information, see our disclosure policy.
The early years FLY by, but a birthday interview is a PERFECT way to capture and savor some memories. (When your kiddo starts talking, or even babbling a few words, it’s worth it.) Our son’s third birthday is coming up and it’s mind-blowing to think that just three years ago we didn’t have any children. Now we have not one, but TWO and one is about to start preschool. What a difference a few years makes! I don’t want to forget a thing about what a marvelous toddler Leo is.
For example, our son is funnier than I’d ever thought a little person could be! We thought of birthday questions and developed a questionnaire to best capture his sweet personality. It’s special to ask our son about a few things that will be a good reminder of what a fun little guy he is now. It’s fun to prompt answers that will be interesting to compare in the future years. I can’t wait to see how his thoughts, hopes, and dreams evolve over time!
Start at the beginning of the list of questions and work through as many as you can. Depending on the age of your child, he may make it through the first 5 questions or only want to answer what his favorite color and animals are, but no biggie. Anything that he says will be cherished <3
Update: When our son turned 4, I was totally sure his favorite song would be “Peanut Butter Jelly Time” or “Baby Shark”, but he said “Hush Little Baby” which is what I sing to him at bedtime every night! ALL the feels!
What are Mama’s Answers?
Also, I not only want to know what our toddler thinks, but I’m going to note MY thoughts and memories, too. It will be fascinating to preserve both perspectives!
Video is a MUST!
Finally, I always forget to take videos, but I think this interview would be best captured on video! Hearing your kiddos sweet voice and seeing his/her precious face will be savored for many years to come. In fact, we’re making a tradition of watching previous videos every birthday!
Birthday Interview Questions
- What is your name? The way that their little lips wrap around their own name can be such a sweet memory.
- How old are you? Adorable mishaps like saying three while holding up four fingers are incredibly charming.
- What makes you happy?
- What is your favorite animal?
- What is your favorite color?
- What is your favorite thing to eat?
- What is your favorite thing to do?
- What is your favorite TV show/ movie?
- What are you really good at?
- What do you want to do when you grow up?
- What is your favorite song?
- What do you and your mom do together? This and the following question could conjure up some insight that may otherwise be missed!
- What do you and your dad do together?
- What is your favorite book?
- What’s the best thing about being you?
- What is something that makes your family special?
- What do you love doing?
- What do you know enough about that you could teach others?
- What is the best thing that has happened to you?
- If you had three wishes what would they be?
Do you do an annual birthday interview and if so what’s your favorite birthday questions to ask? Do you have an annual family tradition to save and savor the memories with your children if so, what’s your favorite one?
P. S. If you’d like some ideas for the PARTY