This post may contain affiliate links, which means a commission is earned (at no cost to you) if you decide to make a purchase via a link in this post. For more information, see our disclosure policy.
When I recommend selecting 3 top priorities for the day, that does not assume that all tasks are equal. If you choose 3 tasks that are actually busywork, that doesn’t help you at all. So after you have a list of tasks that you know are important and urgent, HOW do you choose the 3 that will give you the MOST bang for your time?
The top 3 tasks that you select for the day should be ACCELERATORS. What I mean by this is that these tasks help you go further faster, with less effort. Asking yourself the following questions will help you determine which tasks will accelerate your progress toward your goals as quickly as possible.
Which tasks accelerate your progress toward your goals the fastest?
1) Be sure to begin with the end in mind- what’s the end result that you want, and which tasks directly contribute to it?
2) “What’s the ONE Thing I can do such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?” What’s the lead domino that knocks other things out, too?
3) What goal is this task aligned with? (Nest life, annual, quarterly, monthly, weekly, daily goals)
4) WHY is this task important?
5) Is this an income-generating or happiness-generating task?
6) Does this task make my life easier and more fun in the long term?
You may find a question or two from the above list that you find most helpful- awesome, use that question! The above list just gives you some ideas to try and see what is most helpful for you.
Eat your Frog
Sometimes the thing that moves the needle toward your goals is the thing that you resist most, and when that happens, you can beat procrastination by “eating your frog”. This means that you do the thing that you don’t want to do most, the very first thing. Procrastinating drains your time and energy and when you do something you don’t want to right away, it not only saves you from that drain, but it actually boosts your energy because you feel awesome for doing the thing you didn’t want to do.
An example of a top priority that could be a frog is creating a contract to take on coaching clients. Let’s run it through the questions
1) Be sure to begin with the end in mind- what’s the end result that you want, and which tasks directly contribute to it? The end result is that you want an income from coaching clients, and yes you must have a contract in place before conducting sessions.
2) What’s the ONE Thing I can do such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary? What’s the lead domino that knocks other things out, too? A contract makes all future communication easier and eliminates confusion. This is a lead domino because any questions the client may have you have already decided on and you have them written in your contract. They won’t need to ask you a million questions because you’ve already answered them.
3) What goal is this task aligned with? (Nest life, annual, quarterly, monthly, weekly, daily goals) If you’re a coach, then having coaching clients is most likely one of your goals, so yes 😛
4) WHY is this task important? You want to make a positive impact and help people as much as possible! This starts with clear expectations and boundaries, for which a contract is vital.
5) Is this an income-generating or happiness-generating task? It’s an income-generating task for your business
6) Does this task make my life easier and more fun in the long term? If you DON’T have a contract, it could cause loads of time and energy later when there’s a conflict with your client because you weren’t clear on the terms of your arrangement, so avoiding that is definitely easier and makes life more fun in the long term.
If you’re anything like me, this would DEFINITELY be considered a frog to eat LOL! When I sat down to do this it ended up being MUCH easier than I expected because my coach gave me an excellent template as a starting point. So often when we procrastinate, we think it will be more difficult than it is and as time goes on we build it up to be much bigger than it actually is.
Identifying your 3 accelerators and eating your frogs is the fastest way to make massive progress toward your goals in record time! If you’re a big fan of productivity, you’ll LOVE the Mom CEO Club! It’s a curated monthly membership community that teaches you which tasks bring revenue into your business so that you can be a profitable entrepreneur WHILE enjoying the journey as a present mom. The Mom CEO Club combines lessons, live group coaching, and accountability to ensure you achieve your goals! Let’s do less for more impact in our lives and business, shall we?